Thursday, May 18, 2023

Weighing Instincts versus Ego in 'Jurassic Park III'


Copyright © Universal Studios and Amblin Entertainment, Inc.

Though my ego has been stamped on countless times, my survival instincts take me forward. I have an instinctive love for movies, and it's perhaps my ego that stops me from praising some of them publicly.

It stopped being cool to praise the Jurassic Park movie franchise in 1997, when The Lost World: Jurassic Park hit theatersTitanic had rammed into all the major players, from Walt Disney to Roland Emmerich, and sunk the competition at the box office till the release of Avatar. It was a time when John McTiernan and Richard Donner were winding down with their Die Hard and Lethal Weapon series, respectively. And no matter how hard Michael Bay tried with Armageddon and George Lucas with Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, their ventures never did as much business as Titanic did that decade.

So, when the trailer of Jurassic Park III came on television back in 2001, I was the only one in class excited about it. My classmate and I were exchanging notes on the movie, and he referred to it as Flop III. I went ahead with my faith in Jurassic Park III and watched it, in a lifeless, near-empty theater.

The local theater used to show the biggest Malayalam movie hits of all time, and by 2001, it was reduced to presenting monster movies and adult content. That's why I could not publicize my desire to catch Jurassic Park III, but I never regretted it, and along with Superman III, it remains one of my favorite guilty-pleasure experiences till date.

No comments:

Post a Comment